How do I block Google fonts here?

As far as I can tell, Google fonts needs to check my computer to see if I have that Google-cute wannabe for Arial or Helvetica font. Whether I do or don’t have that particular Google font in my cache, Google still gets my IP, the site I am visiting with the Google font, time and date and from where. That’s too much.

I brought this up once before but I cannot remember where, nor find on privacytools.io (PTI), where the discussion is/was. So I start again - sorry.

I posted a copy of the screen cap showing my concern but can’t find that either. So today, I noticed it again (see new image below).

The problem is, most of the icons used, like those beside “Donate”, all those with the " Spread the word and help your friends" prompt, and other icons, are just squares. Too many sites are starting to show the same squares, making me wonder - are most sites infected with the Google disease, is uBlock on acid, am I?

NOTE: This is only happening at the root privacytools.io not elsewhere (so far) via PTI other pages.

uBlock
I would like to see everything, but not if it means Google is seeing it as well.

TIA
~o~

tada

FWIW, the donate button on the root PTIO page works just fine if I block web fonts only on PTIO.

I use UBO, Decentraleyes and CanvasBlocker on Firefox.

Your original discussion was on Mastodon.

As we discussed there, this is not an issue with the website. The website does not use Google Fonts, or external fonts of any kind. As I pointed out, this is easily verifiable by monitoring network requests.

You seem to be misunderstanding uBlock Origin’s font blocking functionality. The button you have highlighted does not mean “Block Google Fonts”, it means “Block all fonts not installed on your computer”. What that button is blocking is the fonts at /assets/webfonts (our FontAwesome fonts).

Because those fonts are included in our GitHub repo, and by extension our website, when your browser loads those fonts it is loading them directly from privacytools.io and not Google Fonts.

Google Fonts is not used. Google is not contacted.

2 Likes

Open the logger in UBO to see exactly what files it is blocking.

Than very much @jonah for the excellent explanation. It’s getting easier to lean towards trashing devices and going back to pen and ink, than spending so much time and energy, and money too, on keeping the peeps and pervs out of my devices. Can you imagine how much more money everyone would have, and how much more time if we didn’t have ‘devices’?

I guess protection from Google means running UB Logger on each site, learn some coding about what shows as website-side verses the sites 3rd party fonts and difference, and then decide to block them or not, somehow - before site loads any fonts.

Damn - Google made a mess of privacy and choices.

Thanks again Jonah.

1 Like