Help with some Firefox stuff

Okay, so here are some concerns and doubts I have had recently when using FF.

I installed both Temporary Containers and Multi Account Containers addons, I configured the first for maximum privacy to isolate every tab and to open every new tab in a new container. Thing is, this deactivated uBlock Origin, so now I see a ton of ads. So I decided to uninstall it until I know how to fix it.
Then, and this happened two times, the first time my browser crashed and it had to be forcefully closed, and when I opened it all my tabs where there, the second time I unplugged my PC by accident and when I reboot it my tabs where there. Isn’t it supposed that my tabs must die when the browser closes? I’m not using private mode but rather normal mode without history since I left it that way so that the previous add-ons could work. Still I don’t know if this is related.

I would also like to know if there is a way in which the browser asks me every time I choose “open a new window” (when I have already a window opened) and where I could choose which profile to open. I know I could create a shortcut with something like -user1 at the end but it’s more comfortable to me to choose from the menu.

Lastly, if I use the dark theme, which comes pre-installed with FF, can websites know that I’m using it or it works the same way as bookmarks?

Thanks!

why :joy: ? one enough and maybe thats why your pc feels bad i mean both are same except one of them are just temporary ? that’s literally it so both same everything except this diff so maybe just use one ?

Nope! its css changes (client side changes) so pretty much they not know it

i not get it

1 Like

Well, thing is, if you configure Temporary Containers in “hard mode”, you will be logged out when you open a new tab. For example, I login in the Discourse’s instance of PTio and I click “open in a new tab”, when it loads I will not be logged in on my account. This is very annoying and it can be worked out with Multi Account Containers. If you enter https://forum.privacytools.io on a MAContainers cookies will be kept in all tabs for that container. You can have both isolation, compartmentalization and privacy.
The problem is when certain settings from either TC or MAC collide with uBO or uM.

Ooh, good to know, thanks! The default theme was too bright, it’s really good that the dark one doesn’t raise my fingerprint.

I have set FF to ask me every time I open a new window, when any other FF window is open, which profile I want to use. When you already have a profile in use and double click the shortcut it doesn’t ask this, it opens a new window with the profile you are using. This can be solved by adding a “–no-remote” to your shortcut but I don’t know how to find it and modify it since I’m using Debian with GNOME as my DE, and I’m a Linux noob.

1. so you use both because of logging out of accounts so give me reason to use temp one ? i mean just use Multi Account Containers with cookie autodelete ?
  2. i really still not get it (i just can not simulate it inside my brain to can tell you exactly so give me day to sleep :joy: and i will try tmr)

Although, I don’t use Multi-Account Containers, it would be interesting to try to reproduce this. Could you, please, export and upload your Temporary Containers and uBlock Origin settings?

I guess you expected this because you open your tabs in temporary containers. But that’s not what they are for - they just isolate website data in each container from each other.
If you don’t want your tabs restored after crash, you need to set browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash to false.

The reason to use TC is that provides more isolation between every tab. Using CAD the cookies you have while browsing Youtube can connect with other websites and other webpages (e.g.: other YT tabs) you have opened. MAC doesn’t work in the same way neither, since all the tabs inside a container can connect with each other, which is needed if you want to log in and have a smooth experience.

Example with TC and MAC:

Tab 1: Reddit, logged in while using MAC. (Cookies inside this webpage can connect with the tab 2)
Tab 2: Reddit, another webpage, still logged in while using MAC. (Cookies inside this webpage can connect with the tab 1)
Tab 3: Youtube, not logged in while using TC. (Cookies inside this tab can’t connect with neither the first two tabs nor with tab 4, also cookies are deleted when tab is closed; therefore no need to use CAD)
Tab 4: An article on Ars Technica, not logged in while using TC. (Cookies inside this tab can’t connect with neither the first two tabs nor with tab 3, also cookies are deleted when tab is closed; therefore no need to use CAD)

Example with MAC and CAD:

Tab 1: Reddit, logged in while using MAC. (Cookies inside this webpage can connect with the tab 2)
Tab 2: Reddit, another webpage, still logged in while using MAC. (Cookies inside this webpage can connect with the tab 1)
Tab 3: Youtube, not logged in without TC. (Cookies inside this tab can’t connect with the first two tabs but they can with tab 4, also cookies are deleted when tab is closed)
Tab 4: An article on Ars Technica, not logged in while using TC. (Cookies inside this tab can’t connect with the first two tabs but they can with tab 3, also cookies are deleted when tab is closed)

This may seem like something minimal, but if you can achieve more with the same amount of add-ons I don’t see the reason to not go ahead with it, also this example was very simple, I don’t you all but I tend to have a lot of open tabs.

I have deleted TC since it was backfiring and I prefered to wait for a solution instead of having to see a bunch of ads, I don’t know if this still keeps on some FF folder, maybe yes? Still I can tell you which settings I have set.
I do have the settings of my uBO and uM add-ons, though.

How could I give you the files?

Not because of the add-on, but because of my FF settings which had never do that until now. Thanks for that configuration, I have activated now, but I think the ghacks.js overrides every change made to about:config on startup, right? Do you know of a way in which I can add this to the list?

I installed Multi-Account Containers, but don’t observe any issues yet. Are you sure it was TC causing problems and not some other add-on?

If you are sure, I would recommend reporting the issue on both of the add-on developers’ on GitHub.

Yes, it does, but browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash is not changed by the ghacks user.js (you can check yourself that it’s commented out). If you want, you can append your own section to the file, with your personal overrides. See here how to do it the right way.

I am not 100% sure, but the previous combination of add-ons has been working fine with me for over half a year, it could also be that now I’m using a different OS so new bugs can be expected. Yes, I’m gonna ask over there, maybe they could be a little more specific with which problem could have been.

Yes, I checked today after restarting FF and it was still there, thanks a lot! Also, do you know what are the exact steps to follow so that the ghack.js updates automatically? Have you tried importing it to android?

Although, there are updater scripts, which replace your current user.js version with the latest version from GitHub, it’s not possible to completely automate the update process.

The reason is that when certain settings get deactivated or removed from a new version of user.js, they don’t get automatically reset in your prefs.js, so they are stuck with the values from the previous user.js version, and you have to reset them manually.

Keeping track of deactivated or removed settings is tiring, in my opinion, so I just use the Refresh Firefox... option on the about:support page from time to time. The downside of this approach is that all the add-ons get removed, so you need to back up their configurations beforehand.

Yes, I have used it on Android for a while, but eventually I gave up, because I was too lazy to keep up with updates. You can find the instructions here.

1 Like

So what’s the best strategy here? Updating it myself? Or will this also create the problem with the stuck values? Having all my add-on removed looks kinda annoying IMO.

Mmm, I see, I hope this becomes easier at some point because FF mobile is a piece of shit compared to its desktop version. There’s no “always browse in private mode”, it provides me search suggestions even when I have specified that I don’t want them and it has way less customizability.

If you don’t want to “refresh” your Firefox once in a while, you can vimdiff your current and updated versions of user.js to check for removed/deactivated settings. If there aren’t any, just run the updater script and it will do everything for you. Otherwise, reset the removed/deactivated settings manually after running the update scripts. Most likely, there will be none or very few settings requiring manual intervention.

You can cherry-pick the settings you want from the user.js and enable them on the about:config page. Check it out, it has every setting explained in the comments.

1 Like

FYI:

Paraphrased, plain English:

• (non-confirmed) risk of users being unaware that Firefox can silently ‘slip’ from private into non-private mode.

I reported the bug in January 2019 but (I’m embarrassed to say) have not found the time or motivation to follow up in a way that will allow Mozilla to confirm or refute the report. If anyone else would like to investigate, I’ll appreciate it …

… if it truly is a bug, its silent nature (end users’ unawareness) may be cause for concern.

TIA

1 Like