Help regarding Linux flavours

So, I’ve been using Debian for about six months now, and my experience has been terrible. I now this is just a thing related to me, not that the operative system is bad or anything, I love it and I would love to return to it in a year or two when I have more experience with the Linux world so that I don’t fuck it up as I’ve been doing it.

I had to reinstall completely Debian three times since it started to crash like hell because (I guess?) while trying to install software which isn’t on their app store, or updating software that is on their store (since they are so insistent on stability that they only offer Firefox’s ESR; for fuck’s sake), I destroyed in some way the functionality of it. That, plus there isn’t as many tutorials for beginners as in the case of Ubuntu, for example, so it makes me feel more and more lost. And I also while I think that if you are using KDE Plasma or maybe even Gnome, you can get a more or less decent looking GUI, it’s not so good looking as ElementaryOS.

I’ve tried ElementaryOS (in fact I’m writing on a virtual machine running it) and I have fallen in love with the GUI, and the application store is much more decent and covers more than what Debian does, but still I have a few doubts about switching to it or not.

Is Trisquel more privacy conscious since they build only on libre software? Would that be relevant if I need to run private software anyways for gaming? Do you think Elementary covers the basics of Linux gaming compared to Debian (which is okay to me)?

Basically I think my two best options regarding privacy and usability are switching to Trisquel and installing Pantheon desktop environment (which is what EOS uses, but I think it’s not so stable), or switching to Elementary OS.

Dont overbuy on Linux politics. I mean the ideas are solid but they demand too much breakage on their ideals (no proprietary codes, no DRMs, etc.

If you have newer hardware, I would suggest rolling distro based Linux (for me its Manjaro). Pop_OS! and Elementary are also good because I believe they use hardware enablement stack to enable new hardware for its relatively older kernel version.

There are the occasional privacy concerns, but the community is quick to point them out. In a way, its best to learn something like Wireshark to monitor connections and pfSense/OPNsense to filter them out (in the instance where they use Google related infrastructure, etc).

1 Like

It’s not particularly new, I have a Pentium, and the rest of my components are from around the same year. I think I’ll go with EOS since I really love the DE, although I would want to have a secondary computer for gaming with Pop_OS! on it.

Linux mint will be good, Manjaro or KDA linux

*KDE neon.
https://neon.kde.org
Which is the official KDE Plasma live image, based on Ubuntu.
Not to be confused with Kubuntu, which is the KDE Plasma flavor of Ubuntu.

(Very basically, The first is maintained by those who make the actual desktop environement and apps, and the second, the operating system)

I use Manjaro. It is good for beginners and is rolling release which means you have the latest versions of applications.
For Desktop Environment (DE) I use Xfce. It is nice to use and very reliable.

1 Like

I have been a bit busy lately, but the intention is to get a PR out that looks like this https://github.com/privacytools/privacytools.io/issues/1842

Just as I mentioned on GitHub, did you paste the wrong link? I don’t see the correlation between OSes and Exif metadata.

Linux mint will be good, Manjaro or KDA linux

I have consider Mint as an alternative since it has a lot of drivers pre-installed which makes things a lot easier for gaming and other stuff, and since they decided to drop Snapcraft support out of the box. I can’t say a lot about Manjaro and, I hate Ubuntu with all my soul so you can get an idea about KDE if it’s just a skinned Ubuntu.

Just as I said above, if it’s just a skinned Ubuntu with Snapcraft, I’m not interested, but thanks for the suggestion!

I’ll look into it but just out of curiosity, since I like eOS environment the most, so even if Manjaro would support flatpaks I wouldn’t switch. Thanks anyway!

Thank you all for your answers, but I’ve decided to go with eOS since my main problem was to understand the infinite ways in which software can be installed on Linux, and even if eOS app store is not infinite, is the most complete one I’ve seen, which has made things a lot easier to me.

I anyone in the future reads this post and is interested in alternatives to eOS that are beginner friendly I would recommend Solus and PureOS based on the GUI, and Trisquel since it’s completely free, but IMO all the distros don’t differ too much in terms of desktop environments, but rather, and exactly on, the installation procedures.

@a553d43c-f7fa-483a-8

I an not sure exactly what you are looking for in a Linux distro. You seem to like Pantheon as a DE. Which looks alot like MacOS.
There is a beginner friendly distro called Linux Lite you might be interested in trying.

https://www.linuxliteos.com/index.html

There is also an official Pantheon spin on Fedora.

1 Like

I am looking for a distro which makes certain things easier by providing GUIs out of the box, but that also provides flatpak support out of the box since it makes installations much easier and it is not a package manager that sucks so hard as snaps. And as I said, Solus, PureOS, eOS and even Linux Lite where my options, but since eOS has the best aesthetic I’m staying there. Also because it is based on Ubuntu so if I ever encounter a problem there will be guides based on Ubuntu that will more or less work, in contrast with Solus for example which uses its own package manager, eopkg.

It’s not preciselly because it looks kinda like Macintoshes that I like it, but because they really know how to design, they made a lot of decision to make it look unique.

I know, but I never tried anything not Debian based and I think it’ll make things harder, besides I don’t know how easy will be trouble shooting or installation, although they do have flatpaks. Nevertheless, Pantheon is not fully functional on Fedora AFAIK, notifications don’t work and it’s buggy.

Arco linux… look at it xfce version almost windows complete stabill , up to date

I don’t know if I trust enough a distro whose main website is hosted on a Wordpress, and it’s also based on Arch (I assume?), so that puts me off, but thanks.

If you’re attracted by Linux Mint for its user-friendliness, that you can’t stand Ubuntu’s crap, and you feel more comfortable in Debian’s world than in Arch or Red Hat…
To me the right match sounds to be LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) https://linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php

2 Likes

they (Debian) only offer Firefox’s ESR

Not sure what you mean here. They have several other graphical and text-only web browsers.

https://wiki.debian.org/WebBrowsers#Graphical_browsers

trying to install software which isn’t on their app store

Yes, it can be a problem with Debian stable. You might be happier with testing or unstable Debian, which includes newer software versions, but require more frequent updates. Unstable can live up to the name, however. Testing is a good middle ground.

Crashes and re-installs can be good, because it helps you learn the importance of regular backups, and gives you practice and patience. :slight_smile:

Debian insisting on making you choose (take extra steps) to install non-free drivers or software is also a good reminder. IMO.

@DuxBellorum

I used LMDE a long time ago but quit it because its development seemed to have stopped and it had very outdated software in the repository. Looks like they have released new updates since then, so I don’t know what is the current situation of this distro. But anyway, if you want Mint, I’d rather recommend standard Mint as it probably gets more development resources.

Some people have criticized the security practices of the Mint team but I don’t know much about it. I guess it can be a good choice for many beginners as it often provides a good out of the box experience.

Maybe this can help to choose a distribution that suits your needs :slight_smile: