Goodbye, Chrome: Google’s web browser has become spy software

Our latest privacy experiment found Chrome ushered more than 11,000 tracker cookies into our browser — in a single week. Here’s why Firefox is better.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2019/06/21/google-chrome-has-become-surveillance-software-its-time-switch/

1 Like

“has become spy software”, wasn’t it always lol.

3 Likes

Have others than Washington Post reported about this? I don’t want to allow their cookies, so I cannot read them with my main browser and when I open it in Tor Browsers they detect that I am using private browsing mode that is only for their subscribers.

1 Like

the trick to bypass some of paywalls when private/incognito mode fails, as it does with WSJ but not NYT (the latter tracks to allow so many free reads per month) is to search for the full article title (works better with DDG, and goog, than from startpage) and first result is usually the original article, open from search and it is often read in full.

WSJ reads referrer and when it (the potential customer) comes from big search (like goog) then they suffer the free article read realizing a paywall then would just run you off.

Same concept and perhaps more convenient, is to fake the referrer using extension, so links to the sites you get blocked at see you come from googledotcom.