From Nord: What are the best Chrome based browsers?

i don’t use a Chromium-based browser so i don’t know how reliable this advice actually is - indeed Nord publishes some real garbage once in a while…

What are the best Chrome based browsers?

Chrome is used by almost 70% of people who browse the internet. That’s good for Google, which tracks your every move. But if you want to take your privacy back without losing some of Chrome’s great features, it’s probably time to look for the best Chrome-based browser.

Your first thought might be Chromium, which is a more private version of Chrome. The difference between Chrome and Chromium is that the latter collects less data and is an open-source web browser project. However, Chromium is still a Google product, so take its privacy claims with a grain of salt.

However, [Brave] does have its downsides. It only supports a few basic extensions (ad-blocking and password management), which you can enable or disable by going to its extension page.

This isn’t true from my understanding; you can just go to the Chrome Extensions store and install any available Chrome extension. I think you can even enable developer mode to install banned extensions like AdNauseum.

This is a good list. Though I shiver at any list that includes Brave. (Still hate that it’s even on PTIO).

While closed, on this list if you HAVE (does anyone really have to?) to use Chrome based, I would still go with Vivaldi for now.

Opera is another privacy nightmare browser like Chrome, and it’s not as secure.

Vivaldi is a somewhat reasonable option, but it doesn’t run as well as Chrome and Firefox. Also, it doesn’t respect your privacy as much as some other browsers.

Epic, like most clone browsers, is very slow to update and it isn’t supported well. Also, no way to change your default search engine and no support for add-ons.

Brave was an acceptable browser before they added the bloatware cryptocoin BAT extension.

Opera Neon isn’t the future of browsing, and Google won’t follow in their footsteps.

Comodo Dragon had some big security issues.

I never tried SRWare Iron, but I heard some bad things about them.

Chromium is more private than most of these browsers. unGoogled Chromium would be better if it was easy to install. If anything, they should at least try Iridium, which is essentially Google Chrome without the Google. It does bring a security risk due to being behind in security updates (all clone browsers are), but at least it’s more private.

1 Like

based on Chromium apparently - didn’t it used to be something like an alternative UI for IE or something?

I’m interested to hear your thoughts on Brave, Dan. I’ve figured since it’s open-source compared to Vivaldi (which I think) is closed-source, Brave would be a better choice overall?

First part of my hatred for Brave is personal. Co-founder is Brendan Eich, the former Mozilla CEO who resigned after it was discovered he was donating money to ban same-sex marriage in California. So I won’t support anything that helps make him money.

Now, for the not-as-personal reasoning. Not only does brave whitelist things from Facebook, Twitter, etc, they are heavily venture capitalist. They make money via ads, mainly replacing blocked ads with their own. To steal from the site from Switching.Social:

Brave is a commercial company funded by venture capital and its business model is built around advertising. They block ads on sites you browse, and replace them with their own ads. Other companies that have combined VC money with online ad-based business models have always ended up invading people’s privacy, sooner or later.

Also, Peter Thiel (the head of Palantir and a member of Facebook’s board of directors) is a major investor in Brave.

1 Like

Whats so bad about brave. It’s useful as a social browser for compartmentalisation.

Are you referring to containers? That’s available on FF and I am assuming other browsers have similar systems too…

1 Like

can also enable FPI on Firefox…

privacy.firstparty.isolate
privacy.firstparty.isolate.restrict_opener_access

set both ‘true’

2 Likes

It’s because of a bloatware cryptocoin BAT extension. From what I’ve heard, Brave tells you that they block ads, but then they start tracking all of our activity, and take our money, and give it to the sites we visit.

Containers are available on Firefox now. If you want maximum privacy, you should consider the following.

1. Use Firefox to login to all of your accounts. Install Multi-account containers, and configure to where all of your accounts are in separate containers, so they don’t track. Alternatively, you could use Chromium (or Chrome if you use Windows or Mac) and use SessionBox.

2. Use Tor Browser for general browsing to stay anonymous and bypass censorship (especially when you are behind a restrictive firewall, such as at a library or church). Do NOT change any settings, install any extra addons, or change the window size or browse fullscreen. Do NOT login to any of your accounts. Do NOT give out any personal information.

Avoid clone browsers. They are usually behind in security updates and aren’t supported as well. Stick with the main browsers: Firefox, Chrome, Edge, and Safari. Tor Browser gets an exception due to it’s unrivaled security and privacy features.

1 Like

Ah I see; yeah those are really compelling points that resonate with me. I’ll take look into Vivaldi.

1 Like

I try to practice privacy by compartmentalisation (I wrote an article on it here). I use Brave as a browser for watching videos, going on social media etc…
I don’t use containers for these reasons

If you want to replace containers with separate browser profiles, then I don’t recommend it for strong privacy.

why not? i’m curious because if the goal is to prevent cross-browser or cross-profile contamination, profiles will do this perfectly fine afaik

however you used the word “strong” so maybe you’re implying malware containment?

1 Like

Brave is actually not as bad as people make it out. I use it as a part of my compartmentalisations strategy and know it quite well. The BAT crypto is knida cool. You can opt-out or receive the ads. And even if you opt in you don’t actually have to spend the BAT. I have made like $1 from clicking on ads. And because I click on them all there is no personalisation. All the ads are just for weird crypto.
IDK

1 Like

From the way you describe it here, it almost sounds like no browser is good! Just stick to Firefox/Tor? What other options are there? (uses Telnet) :rofl:

1 Like

I feel like there are all these vague terms like “strong privacy,” “strong encryption,” but they aren’t often well defined. For instance, with password managers, doesn’t it matter what encryption algorithm(s) they use?

Is there some way to summarize the points of what comprises “privacy,” browser-wise?

1 Like

it certainly does if you use a 3rd party (cloud) service - it also matters how the encryption is implemented - if you use a local one (KeePassXC for instance), i suppose it might not be as critical, though i rekon that’s debatable

Brave is as bad as people think. Also, Firefox has multi-account containers that do that now. But I heard recently Firefox got a new logo design and this happened.

OH NO IT’S RUINED!!! NOW WE HAVE TO STOP USING FIREFOX AND REVERT BACK TO USING GOOGLE CHROME!!!

Firefox Spyware Level - High

So now we have a choice. We can either use other browsers like Iridium and GNU IceCat, which offer complete privacy, but are slow to update and bring huge security risks, or we can use a secure browser like Firefox or Chrome and deal with endless spyware. It’s not a good idea to risk our security just to improve our privacy. Some settings (like disabling updates and phishing protection) shouldn’t be changed.

Google Chrome already has 99% of the market share and everyone else is fine using it. I don’t think it’s as bad as some users think. Microsoft Edge or Safari would also work if you want compartmentalisation.

If we can’t use Firefox, then the only option left would be to use Chromium (or Chrome for Windows and Mac users) for social media and logging into all of your accounts, and Tor Browser for general web browsing. Just keep in mind that you should probably avoid clone browsers since they are slow to update and do not have the security features or support as the main browsers. These clone browsers include (for Firefox) Waterfox, Pale Moon, GNU Icecat, (for Chrome) Iridium, UnGoogled Chromium, Epic spyware browser, SRWare Iron, and Comodo Dragon. Stay away from all of these. As much as I don’t like Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge, I would actually use those before considering half of the clone browsers I mentioned.

Let’s be clear here. I use FireFox as my primary browser. Brave is not the privacy respecting search engine it makes it self out to be and I understand that. I also understand thats using forks is less safe as using the intended version. I can use Tor if I want to be anonymous and FireFox for general work. Also why do you say Brave is so bad? Is it because of this article by any chance?https://spyware.neocities.org/articles/brave.html