Filestash - Thoughts?

Basic Information

URL: https://www.filestash.app

Name: Filestash

Github: https://github.com/mickael-kerjean/filestash

Price Model: Freemium

Seems like a really useful product for managing and sharing files, especially in a lightweight manner with SFTP.

so just which diff ? i mean i can still manage my data on site itself instead of trust someone else with my data right ? and if you want to share files use firefox send or OnionShare

I am attempting to interperate what you are saying here, but you can still use your usual SCP, SFTP, FTP, Google, e.c.t client. What Filestash is selling is ease of use.

Also, Filestash can be self hosted:

I have 2 details against these concepts.

1. OnionShare is still fairly new, and would not recommend it to anyone new to computing.
  2. FireFox send is great, but lacks file collaboration functionality.

It does appear that Filestash is trying to become a lightweight alternative to Nextcloud with many added features and functionality (like an SFTP client).

For instance, it appears to be more of a front-end for protocols like SFTP, WebDav, Git, e.c.t

Do I understand correctly that it’s not open source?

What is your connection with Filestash?

They provided the link to the Github repository on their first post:

Also, from their website:

Open Source

Our entire source code is available on github

Author of Filestash here. Filestash philosophy is to bring your own backend, it attempts to leverages the ecosystem of backend server available to us (example: openssh-server, proftpd, filezilla FTP, CVS, apache webdav, …) and act as an easy to use frontend with some extra features on top (eg: full text search, shared links, inplace editing, and more)

Also, Filestash is entirely open source, the intention being that anyone can selfhost his own. There’s no paid features, filestash isn’t open core, the idea of the features shown in the pricing page is to judge whether those features are worth my time and discard things nobody wants. When it comes to privacy, an interesting feature is it can expose your instance via TOR in 1 click.

@aDzTNt1: you are right, in fact Filestash was born out of my frustration with Owncloud/Nextcloud, and especially those 2 things:

1. Despite being open, Nextcloud only works well with itself. Basically once installed, Nextcloud owns your data and doesn’t integrate well with anything else, making it hard to perform simple operations like editing a file directly on the filesystem. I had that problem with Nextcloud where the sync client would just freeze entirely after more than 24 hours spent trying to sync my data, tried another sync tool (syncthing) and got it done in less than 3 hours. That’s when I came to realise there were a better way, integrating with the ecosystem shouldn’t be a hack like it currently is but unfortunately this couldn’t be fix with a simple pull request
  2. the bloat that comes with such a system that can’t easily be fix. For example, I did some tests as I initially just wanted to simply contribute back to the project but when I came to see that generating a single page would generate > 10 database call, I realise Nextcloud was build in the same way Wordpress was and some things can’t just be improve to a level I would be satisfy enough. I then went to the drawing board and try to design something that would fix all those problems => Filestash was born
1 Like