Email on social media

Hello, I know the logical answer for someone worried with privacy should be not having a social media at all, but for family and work reasons, I still need to have them, so my question here is, on websites like facebook, instagram and twitter, due their nature, should I use privacy minded emails like proton, tutanota and disroot or should I stick with gmail and hotmail?

1 Like

Privacy minded one

What is your connection between an e-mail service and a social media service?

For the social media service, your e-mail address is just another identifier. It doesn’t matter which one you choose. For the e-mail provider, e-mails from the social media service are just e-mails as any other e-mail. Keep in mind that “privacy minded e-mails” is mostly just marketing. E-mails are inherently not secure and produce lots of metadata – this isn’t changed by using another e-mail provider.

1 Like

It’s kinda tricky question. i would say use privacy minded email provider and i would say use aliases to hide your real email

4 Likes

Perhaps a re-mailer like anondaddy?

2 Likes

Although I don’t have social media (except for a LinkedIn) I use a catch all email forwarding service (specifically Anonaddy) and then tied it to a custom domain. For example, for LinkedIn I use “LinkedIn@customdomain.xyz” which then forwards all mail to my actual Protonmail account.

1 Like

Use AnonAddy (source code) or SimpleLogin (source code) for email aliases.

2 Likes

Sorry for the late response here. Before posting, I had changed my email on social media to proton and I’m also using Blur as my email forwarding but I think I’ll change to anonaddy, it seems to be a better service than blur and I’ll use that on social media instead.

Anondaddy is also slef hostable through for example docker.

1 Like