Email Client for Desktop similar to ThunderBird?

Looking for a different email client for my Mac. currently using Thunderbird, but I’m not of a fan of the layout. I know there’s a way to add a custom theme but even that seems difficult. Would there be any other client just as safe or at least close to Thunderbird??

1 Like

You can have a look into Canary Mail, it’s available on the Mac App Store, they also have an iOS app. I tried it quickly and didn’t like it (I hate the “in app purchase” concept) so I went back to Thunderbird which does everything that I need even if I am not 100% fan of the U.I. A lot of times I also use direct connection to my e-mail provider website from Firefox (why not ? It works perfectly well and it’s not long to do as my credentials to log-in are automatically entered by Bitwarden).

1 Like

We’re currently redoing our email clients section. Mailpile would be a good option once they’ve updated their Mac client.

4 Likes

@freddy thanks a lot ! I had no idea Mailpile had a desktop client. Always thought they were an online service and as a result never took the time to really look into them. Shame on me !

1 Like

Looking forward to update on email clients. I recently downloaded Mailspring to check it out. Love the ui but not sure how good it is with privacy.

We thought about listing them, however we require email clients to have proper encryption support, which, as far as I’m aware, Mailspring does not have.

2 Likes

I’m using the Mac default Mail app with https://gpgtools.org/ and it works great. GPGTools doesn’t work on mobile though.

2 Likes

I use Neo-Mutt, but its a pain to set up

2 Likes

Does https://gpgtools.org/ only work with iCloud emails or I can use other email providers with it?

It works with any email service that you set up in Mail.app. I have used it for Gmail, Hotmail, and Yahoo and never had an issue.

2 Likes

It seems like Mailpile is abandoned or on a hiatus, the download page shows that both the Mac and Windows packages are being reworked but that message is being shown there for the last 3 years, and also the latest blog post and github update happened more than a year ago.

1 Like

@anony you’re right on that observation. I’m too looking at Mailpile project since some years now and their website information never changed about the thing being reworked … so I also assumed the project is unfortunately abandoned. Hope they prove us wrong and would come up with a new super great version of Mailpile but I really doubt :roll_eyes: