Elon Musk uses Signal

1 Like

And here I am contemplating about using Threema as a backup secure messanging service because the normies crashed through (and is still crashing) Signal

Threema and Signal should be installed on the same device either way! :wink: :+1:

2 Likes

Yay, a fascist millionaire that generates coups in Bolivia is telling us to use Signal, we won people, we won!

1 Like

Signal also used by Whatsapp co- founder Brian Acton, CIA/ NSA Whistleblower Edward Snowden, Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey, Journalists, foreign governments, the US senate, hacker Moxie Marlinspike. We the Signal community also use a forum like this one for privacy/ security discussion, we help the developers improve the platform. Signal is slowly shifting its focus to User Experience. Much fun!

Yep RIP!!! still crashing for me as well. Threema is a great premium app

Many of my contacts have started to use Signal recently (without me inviting anyone :smiley: ), so I suppose all WhatsApp-Facebook story, Musk and others calling people, etc. had some effect.

Signal is still not my favorite messenger, but of course I would rather use it than WhatsApp or Viber. Though I will try to keep my closest contacts on Threema and Wire, as I suppose, Signal servers will see huge traffic increase in following period

1 Like

I have Wire too :slight_smile:

I’m outside of the US so I get the Switzerland Terms of Service apply to me :slight_smile:

I have installed Signal just in case, but it works very much like Whatsapp as it requires a phone number, forced access to contacts (!) and has to be installed and running on the phone to relay data to the desktop app (of which the installer automatically puts it in the AppData folder of the C drive instead of having the user optionally choose it!).

I’m in for ethical software, but it’s very lacking.

BTW guys, do try to donate to Signal. I think they need some love in that regard.

3 Likes

The fact that so many people are shilling Signal should make you question whether the app is worth using.

1 Like

I don’t think this is case with Signal. You need to have it installed on phone, but your phone doesn’t need to be online and active to use PC client

Doesn’t all the others do the same?

Regardless of my opinion on Signal or Elon Musk, I think it is good many ordinary users have realized common messengers might be a threat for their privacy, and decided to look for alternatives

Sure, it uses phone number, but usernames are in the works. All communications are end to end encrypted.

I don’t know, I think people are just following the hype about Signal… I’ve met people who temporarily left Twitter only to come back to it a couple of days later, and I don’t even know of anyone leaving Instagram. Nobody is looking for alternatives, they are just taking whatever is offered to them.

Which in my opinion is very refreshing from the privacy point of view. But regardless of why people are downloading Signal, I haven’t noticed much of a shift in the mindset concerning privacy (maybe it just needs more time).

1 Like

I shifted from Whatsapp to Signal, and so did the co- founder Brian Acton.

1 Like

Yeah, I also don’t see the majority of people leaving Whatsapp, this is only temporary and it’s a very small amount of the population.

If small amount means 50,000 a day, its a win for privacy/ security and Signal. Signal is free top 10 in all app stores. Alot of people are switching because of the latest change in Whatsapp privacy policy that shares info with Facebook.

1 Like

I just hope that signal doesn’t get the issue just like Lavabit cause other than that it’s very reliable :grinning:

Yes, that’s a small amount.

From their respective Wikipedia articles:

As of February 2020, WhatsApp had over 2 billion users globally.

The app (Signal) had approximately 20 million monthly active users as of December 2020.

Maybe that number will grow a bit in this few months, but I can assure you this will be forgotten news by the second quarter of 2021 and Whatsapp will continue to grow as always.

Actually, privacy has become the new trend. Signal and privacy search engine duckduckgo have been trending for awhile now.

1 Like