Does VPN hide me from ISP tracking?

Most of the answers I found on the internet says it can but all of them are trying to sell their vpn service.

If dose a little but if your isp is determined they will use website traffic fingerprinting and DPI to track you only tor can fully prevent isp tracking

Extracted from https://safing.io/blog/2020/01/22/how-the-spn-compares-to-vpns/:

VPNs Were Built for Security, NOT for Privacy

The VPN technology was developed to allow remote workers to securely connect to a corporate network to virtually check into the office and access internal resources. It does this by establishing a secure tunnel between the worker and the company. The VPN shields the whole route from the worker to the office, never entering the “open Internet”.

Commercial VPNs Are just Proxy Servers

A commercial VPNs does something rather mundane. As an example, let’s say you want to connect to “google.com” via a VPN. The VPN client first creates a safe tunnel to the VPN server, which then calls upon “google.com”. So a VPN safeguards your connections up until the VPN server, then unpacks their protection and routes it back into the open Internet.

VPNs do NOT Protect Your Privacy

There are many legitimate use cases for a VPN, like securely connecting to your corporate network or “beaming” into another country to enjoy different content or cheaper prices. But VPNs do not protect your privacy.

Knowing this, a your ISP will know to which VPN provider you are connecting to. Can see your bandwidth usage and correlate that usage to activities that typically consume that much data: video streaming, downloading, etc. Depending on the VPN implementation your DNS queries may be exposed and that would give away which sites and servers you are accessing.

However your ISP will not see the content of what you are doing i.e., they may be able to tell you are watching a video but cannot tell what video specifically or even if that video comes from YouTube or Netflix.

Does that mean my ISP can inspect which path I accessed on a https domain?

1 Like