Discussion: ClearURLs

This is an official discussion thread for ClearURLS linked from the www.privacytools.io website. This thread can be used for troubleshooting, questions, discussions and if you look for alternatives.

3 Likes

Just installed the addon now. The addon permission gives me the cringe for some reason.

1 Like

The permissions it has, seem reasonable for what it does imo. Worth noting it is a part of Mozilla’s recommended extension program.

3 Likes

@hauntsanctuary

The permissions seem pretty standard except for:

Input data to the clipboard
Download files and read and modify the browser’s download history

I noticed websites load faster with ClearURLs. An added benefit to it removing tracking elements.

when i vist rarbg.to the site says something is wrong with my browser, if i disable ClearURLs, i can use and navigate with no problems on the site, so i guess it must be related to ClearURLs, does any have a clue what could be the cause?

It’s probably related to this rule ([\/\?#]|(&|&))+((%3F)?cid=[^&]*) the ClearURL logging is really helpful for figuring that out.

Personally I would only use that in the Tor Browser. I’d also find a better website for your torrents, that one has all sorts of weird advertising stuff going on.