Discussion: Brave Browser

This is an official discussion thread linked from the www.privacytools.io website. This thread can be used for troubleshooting, questions, discussions and if you look for alternatives.

1 Like

Here is a discussion going about Brave’s advertising platform:

Brave may be a tad sketchy with their ad policies, but no Chromium derivative is as well updated as Brave. Brave is my go-to browser should Mozilla slip up (Mr. Robot bundleware, extension certificate debacle, etc).

3 Likes

From Brave’s business oriented site

“The Brave browser knows where users spend their time, making it the perfect tool to calculate and reward publishers with BATs.”

So Brave is privacy respecting, but they sell advertisers on the fact they know where users spend their time?

1 Like

I think Brave should be given more of a chance.

We can’t always keep hanging on to 1 company (Mozilla).

Don’t get me wrong, it’s my main browser right now too, but I don’t know how sustainable that is, especially not with some of the shit mozilla pulled the last years.

Brave on the other hand:

2 Likes

They are too unethical for me on just about every front.

It’s funny you brought this up - I’ve been using Brave for most of my “clearnet” browsing (although you can obviously use Tor for that too).

As a matter of fact, I have a question related to Brave - you know how it has Tor integration? How well does that work vs. just using the Tor Browser? Is it any worse? I ask because I’ve used other apps that work with Tor, and on occasion, they had some bugs (i.e. not connecting to Tor or having their anonymity broken in some way).

1 Like

This is their privacy policy - maybe you’ve already seen that? https://brave.com/privacy/ I suppose the best alternative would just be to use Tor all the time. Can’t think of much of a better one, except not using a browser! (Someone actually told me they did that…)

1 Like