Could this be a good p2p messenger?

I’ve been looking at different solutions for E2EE and anonymous messengers for a while.

While I find Signal does most things well and has client/server open source, having to use phone number to sign up, and having it run on centralized US servers are both quite non optimal.

To me an ideal solution would be something decentralized and p2p.

Looking for something that fits that I came across Bitmessage which seems to be defunct for a while now.

But also came across Adamant. (open source, p2p, E2EE, full anonymous, runs on blockchain, etc’) Based on their own description it would seem to tick most boxes.

My concern is if it works like traditional block chain, would that mean that all messages ever sent will exist on the chain forever, even if they are E2EE, which theoretically could leave the door open for anyone to download the chain and brute force until encryption is broken?

Also my skepticism comes from a lack of discussion online Ive seen regarding this company/product.

Curious to see if anyone else has come across this or tried it themselves? And whether it really is a solid p2p solution, or has problems I may not have realized.

I’ve also just come across “getsession (dot) org” and “status (dot) im” which is similar to adamant but runs on a network separate from its currency blockhain, have similar questions/reservations about it.

https://briarproject.org/ ? also i never dealt with blockchain chatting apps but i guess yes, i mean it how it works right? and i’m not sure but i heard also about tor chat, that you can chat over tor so i think https://briarproject.org/ and tor chat kinda going to fit ur needs?

1 Like

Briar works well, but I don’t like having to rely on Tor (and as far as I can find its not clear how this p2p works over tor without some node or relay in the middle in order to lookup and direct messages to the desired recipient), thats why these other options are of interest for their p2p operation over clearnet.

Adamant’s messaging seems to piggyback on its blockchain, they state all messages are stored on the chain, seemingly indefinitely, they seem to think thats fine boasting its “multiple forms of encryption”, I see the benefit, but also the flaws as the chain is downloadable to anyone running a node and can brute force. how long that would take, and whether each block is encrypted differently to protect from that is not clearly stated in the whitepaper which seems like an overs

(https://medium.com/adamant-im/how-decentralized-blockchain-messenger-works-b9932834a639)

Session operates like a blockchain style network with nodes that store messages and requires proof of work for validation and spam prevention etc’. They also incorporate their custom version of onion routing that works on their “loki” network. They claim to have “Limited TTL” where messages are deleted from the chain/network after a set period of time. That sounds better, but what is preventing a node operator from keeping offline backups of that history before deletion? not entirely clear, but they do have a much more detailed whitepaper than adamant. Session’s code is also a fork of signals.

Status seems to operate on its own “The status network” network, with the app having integrations with the Ethereum network as far as I can tell. for message storage they say “Messages are stored on a mail server for two weeks” of which Status currently hosts themselves but it seems individuals can run these nodes aswell. There’s of course more to it but I’m still reading…

There is definitely things things to like and be concerned about for each, Loki/Session seems most promising so far in terms of real anonymity and privacy it offers, but how easy it is for its network to become more distributed and how well its protects the message traffic thats dispersed through the network is still to be seen.

Although I still trust it more than something like signal, needing phone number and running off centralized US servers just doesn’t sit right.