Chicken and egg problem with email and domain

Hi folks!
I really would love to hear your advice on the topic.
To register a domain, you need to provide an email first. Not an issue, I got one of that free ones.
But I don’t want to rely on it long term, especially considering I don’t use it and may miss some important notification about it locking me or similar.
I know I can point my domain name registrar account to an email on same domain, but then there is a chance something happens with my email service and at the same time domain name registrar would ask me to confirm my identity via email. Oh, I don’t want to be in that situation.
So what would be considered a best practice?
Should I register a domain A with registrar X, domain B with registrar Z, and then use email@A for registrar Z, email@B for registrar X?
This way chances are very low I would have an issue with email and both registrar A and B would lock me out of accounts.

I would keep a non-public email address at a major email provider, ie mailbox.org, protonmail.com etc.

I would only use that email address for my DNS registration.

2 Likes

Consider another way. I have an account with Amazon, which is not private at all.
Amazon, obviously, harvests information from what I buy for Kindle to advertise to me.

I have purchased many books through Amazon Kindle, which can only be accessed through by public email account. If I bought those books through a private, quality email, like tutanota. And someday that company goes under, I lose my investment in kindle ebooks, and perhaps some video downloads.

What one should do is have three different kinds of presence on the Internet.

1. The public one for advertisers, and other privacy violators to watch, but I can use it access things which I can not hide anyway. Bank Accounts, Kindle ebooks.

2. A private one for my more secure emails, which I only use with others who will also use end to end Encryption. I probably pay for this one, because I know anyone who does things for free may at some time choose to ignore their policy of not spying on me.

3. Some email to give out to places which demand to send me, I am sure, SPAM.
    Perhaps someone can point out the pros and cons of using an Alias off my, paid for, private email. I still have to look at this one, and delete those emails, but I do not want these kinds of email going to the same account where I do financial transactions, like my bank, credit cards, bit coin (which actually I have never used). Or locked into the one email account I have to keep , like my Amazon one.

And to which of these should I send my registration to places like forums. Forums I do not want my login connected with say, gmail?

At least two presences on internet. Public. Private. and perhaps several layers for registering for sites.

Please help me to clarify my thinking here.

@catacombs
I tried to do just that at first, but then I kinda wanted to always know if someone sold my email to spammers, and also I did not want those unknown spying companies to collect e.g. all data about my shopping habits, etc.
That’s how I started looking for a provider that would allow me to have unlimited aliases or inboxes, and found one, after spending about a year with anonaddy.
In the end I had about 120 aliases (some of those for my SO), to give you an idea.
Now I just have catch-all, and at any time I can create any inbox to reply, or to block all incoming messages to it.
The reason I post this is because I’m ready to delete my Protonmail account (spammers got it anyways, so no big deal) and wondering if I should stay with one of the free providers, and rely on them not suddenly blocking or deleting my account for many years to come.
I know Protonmail won’t do that just now, but should I always keep in touch with them, reading TOS updates, etc?

Generally I’d simplify it further, use a cloaking service like anonaddy or simplelogin.

This means that you can use your regular email service, but create an individual cloak for every service.

If you have your own domain, you’ll still have to signup with an email service @example.com for that I would use this email when registering domains ie as the technical contact. The reason for this if there is some problem with the domain, the registrar can then still contact you.

I would only create additional mailboxes if they are separate identities entirely. In that case think of them like alternate personalities.