Changing or adding a Chelsea Manning's quote on the home page

I wanted to know if it would be possible to add a Chelsea Manning’s quote on the home page, she has spent almost a decade in prison now, she is a trans-woman which helps to give LGBTQ+ community a sense of belonging with privacy advocates, she is heavily related to 2013 disclosures and she has probably suffered the most in comparison to Assange and/or Snowden who were free until very recently (Snowden still is, although I’m sure he’ll be imprisoned in a couple of years).

I think this is a good quote, if you feel different please let me know and I’ll try to search for a new one, you can also contribute if the administrators think this is a good idea!

If you deny my request for a pardon, I will serve my time knowing that sometimes you have to pay a heavy price to live in a free society. I will gladly pay that price if it means we could have a country that is truly conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all women and men are created equal.

I’ll let this new article of The Intercept by Natasha Lennard: “Chelsea Manning Spent Most of the Last Decade in Prison. The U.N. Says Her Latest Stint Is Tantamount to Torture.”
(https://theintercept.com/2020/01/02/chelsea-manning-torture-prison-united-nations/)

It does not take a U.N. expert to recognize the current conditions of Manning’s incarceration as a form of torture. It is the very definition of torture to submit a person to physical and mental suffering in an effort to force an action from them. Since May, Manning has been held in a Virginia jail for refusing to testify before a federal grand jury investigating WikiLeaks. Manning has not been charged with or convicted of a crime. And her imprisonment on the grounds of “civil contempt” is explicitly coercive: If she agrees to testify, she can walk free. If she continues to remain silent, she can be held for the 18-month duration of the grand jury or, as the U.N. official noted, “indefinitely with the subsequent establishment of successive grand juries.”

Each day she is caged, Manning is also fined $1,000. If she is released at the end of the current grand jury, she will owe the state nearly $500,000 — an unprecedented punishment for grand jury resistance. And Manning has made clear, she would “rather starve to death” than comply with the repressive grand jury system, a judicial black box historically deployed against social justice movements.

You can help her with a donation through https://www.couragefound.org/chelsea-manning

5 Likes

Remember Reality Winner. It’s a simpler case.

1 Like

I didn’t know about that case, still, I think Chelsea’s case is more relevant since she is related to Assange’s imprisonment and the 2013 revelations.

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestion, I have forwarded it to GItHub. I like the idea, but I am not sure where it would fit without looking at the website and I would need support from the team.

I cleaned up this thread a lot and would like to request everyone to read our Code of Conduct. I have suspended one user.

5 Likes

Im fully in suport. What about a “how we got here” section that plays homqge to all the privacy heroes?

3 Likes

The person was using transphobic language and was misgendering Chelsea Manning as well as claiming she has a mental disorder.

That should not and will not be tolerated. Bigotry has no place on this or any other forum.

5 Likes

What do you mean without looking at the website? Which one?

Excuse me if I misbehaved, I was furious and didn’t how to react.

1 Like

I think this may be harder to implement and I dont’t want to bother whoever that writes the code of the website, but I kinda like the idea.

She gave files to Assange to prove that Iraq wars were cold blooded assasinations were mostly civilians were hurt (and I’m not talking about collateral damage) to allow the USA to steal resources, and now she is being held because she refuses to testify against him, if she would want to do so, she would be free but she’s choosing her principles instead of her own life. I dont’t know what can be more privacy heroin tbh.

Do you think so? To my limited understanding of how web design works, the harder part should be writing the text, then its just adding a page. Btw I applaud that this forum is firmly argainst discrimination @Mikaela

3 Likes

I mean I haven’t looked at the index of PrivacyTools closely so I don’t know where this belongs to, but now that you made me check it, I see that we have a quotes section where this would be trivial to do.

This would provide it a section (if quotes didn’t exist already) and I like the idea, but it may be better to open as a separate issue (I will do it later at GitHub).

Yes and as we are using Jekyll and not direct HTML, it’s mainly just writing the page or section and including it in the page (if it’s a section) and possibly adding a link to navbar.

Yes, I was reffering exactly to that section. Tere are two Snowden quotes and, I think, one of Greenwald, what Snowden did is extraordinary and I totally support him but I think it wouldn’t hurt to replace one of him for one of hers.

I think I support the idea of a separate webpage for a people who aided privacy rights but this should be looked at carefully. I think Assange work as a privacy advocate is great, but when it comes to, for example, the accusations made against him for molestation I don’t like him that much.

1 Like

I have no problem with having a Chelsea Manning quote on Privacy Tools home page.

But I disagree with Privacy Tools being used to get donations for Chelsea Manning.

I created a post about a different topic and since I was talking about her I mentioned that you could help her if you want, I didn’t create a post just to gather donations, I don’t see what’s wrong with it. And even if I would create a post to help gather donations for privacy advocates who are in need, I don’t see the problem, these people need it, they sacrificed their lives to help build a better world and the least we could do is support them economically. Chelsea is owing the state around $1000 per day just to refuse to testify against Assange, do you think there’s something bad with helping her out? It’s not like if the money were for some kind of project or to fundraise something more trivial.

I don’t see us listing other donate links than our own.

1 Like
1 Like

Yaaayyy, really cool!

1 Like