Brave Launches the First Advertising Platform Built on Privacy

Article: Brave Launches the First Advertising Platform Built on Privacy

What is everyone’s opinion on the Advertising Platform? Will you be switching from Firefox to Brave Browser because of this news?

The key part I was very interested in were…

“Brave will introduce Publisher-integrated Ads to complement today’s private, opt-in user ads. We will work in partnership with content providers to provide opportunities for our 55,000 Verified publishers and creators to feature private ads within their website or channels. Publisher-integrated Ads will provide 70% of the revenue share to participating Verified publishers and content creators; 15% of the revenue share will go to users that view and engage with the Publisher-integrated Ads, and the remaining 15% of the revenue share will go to Brave.”

3 Likes

I think it’s interesting and I may try it, but I see moving from Firefox unlikely at this point, even if not impossible.

Another thing I am interested in is their IPFS integration that will probably start appearing in nightly builds soon.

1 Like

I’m very supportive of this idea personally. I have nothing against advertisements, publishers need to make money, but advertising networks are a real problem and the reason I use an adblocker. If Brave can successfully pay their users, pay their publishers, and continue to get advertiser’s funds, that would be a net win for privacy overall in my opinion.

3 Likes

Non-tracking advertisements have worked out well, specially for DuckDuckGo. Although I refuse to use any chromium/blink browser at all. So I won’t be trying it out.

4 Likes

I don’t think it will ever happen but I would love for Firefox to setup something like this.

1 Like

Switching.social voiced some interesting concerns about Brave’s ownership structure

3 Likes

I would rather use Vivaldi than Brave. It’s far better than Chrome, Edge, Opera… in terms of privacy, maybe just a little bit worse than Brave in that area, but it’s way better than any other when it comes to features

There was a request to replace Brave with Vivaldi on PTIO, but it was closed as Vivaldi isn’t FOSS so I wouldn’t recommend it.

1 Like

Brave is owned by a for-profit company, sure. I don’t think that has any effect on the browser itself though, Brave is a solid privacy-focused browser that’s actively developed and is obviously very open with regard to its development.

The concerns mentioned on switching.social are mainly concerns with BAT, which is the for-profit entity in question. So there’s a few flaws with their arguments. Brave exists to protect privacy, BAT exists to make money from selling ads. And of course, Brave implements BAT as a key feature of their browser, but they’re distinct entities and BAT can be easily disabled if that’s not the sort of thing you’re interested in.

Not using Brave because of its ties with BAT would be like not using Firefox because of its ties with Google (who funds ~80% of the Mozilla corporation IIRC). Maybe thats cause for concern in both cases, but IMO Mozilla has shown its possible to be funded by anti-privacy companies while still upholding privacy ideals.

3 Likes

Every company/FOSS project need to make money in order to develop and release good product, that’s ok. I don’t mind what Brave does, I think their browser can be configured well in terms of privacy. But it’s lacking many features Vivaldi or Opera have.

Regarding Vivaldi, yes, it is not FOSS, though they release their code (but not 100% I think). Still they are open about what they do, and I trust them. If money was their 1st priority they would stay in Opera :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, I think the being owned is the issue here.

Firefox is owned by a non-profit organization which is funding is mainly from Google (up to 90 % from what I’ve found) because Google wants to keep its search engine market share. They do not necessarily need Mozilla to succeed in order for them to fund them. On the contrary. There is no incentive to think that funding from something so anti-privacy like a Google would be an issue here because of the reason for the funding. It is not for the profit or success of Mozilla but to make sure Google’s search engine is truly dominant on the market.

I get that you separate BAT and Brave but the shady ties with shady people make me at least very skeptical about the whole project. I like the idea of Brave and BAT but the execution seems kinda weird to me.

I am not saying Brave is not suitable for privacy minded people I am just saying there are some concerns that a privacy-oriented person should note when either researching or deciding to be using Brave with BAT. I would still prefer Brave over Chrome but so far I have no reason to use as a main browser any other than Firefox.

1 Like

Firefox is funded because Google wants to reach a larger audience for their search engine, and therefore their advertising platform. Brave is funded because BAT wants to reach a larger audience for their cryptocurrency and their advertising platform.

My only point is that Brave has no incentive to harm the privacy of their users, and lots of incentives to support protecting privacy, because “protecting privacy” is a huge factor people will consider when choosing a browser, and keeping a privacy-centric stance will get them more users for their other platform (which unlike Google, also doesn’t need to track their users).

Maybe there’s no reason to switch from Firefox, sure. I’m just saying some of the claims that the users at switching.social have made, like:

Brave exists not to protect privacy, but to make money from selling ads.

…are not good takes on the topic. Brave does exist to protect privacy, because that’s what gets the users. It’s also a whole 'nother discussion about whether advertisements are inherently evil, which is a concept I disagree with, because web publishers need to make money. Advertisements are OK, advertising networks like AdSense and Facebook that track your every move are decidedly not. But I won’t get into all of that.

2 Likes

I don’t want commercial interests to “know anything about me” PERIOD.
(not location, not interests, not identity, not activities, not …FillinTheBlanks…)

I’m old-school OptinOnly you SOBs

Noone mentioned concerns about WhereBased - 5/9/13/15 eyes country, financially/currency independent country, otherSelectors?!?

I briefly had illusions about Norway and iceland (after previous illusions about TheNetherlands, Sweden, Finland, Estonia, Switzerland, EU-countries, failed my closer inspection and their evolutionary tendencies…)

This planet is as hopeless as Venezuela, AFAICT, so I’m volunteering for the Mars-NoReturnPossible next bus… ;-(

Can you expand your thoughts on this?

I am interested to hear the opinion.

Firefox works.
I do use bromite on Android more than Firefox simply because it is faster and it still blocks ads. Once I manage to get back to running Debian it’s Firefox 100%.

I am trying it out at the moment. Not as good as Firefox when I did panopticlick but it would probably work well with compartmentalisation.