Bitcoin Wallets (what is missing)

Why doesn’t Privacytools recommend competent, privacy-focused Bitcoin wallets? Like Samourai, which has many privacy features (tor/paynym/ricochet/etc), and Wasabi for anonymity.

Example:

1. Samourai *
  2. Wasabi
  3. Trezor or Electrum

I would consider it an alternative to the current payment system (fiat), which is horrible (total surveillance).

1 Like

You can submit a request, by tagging this post as a submission. You can also contact team here.

@jonah could possibly take some time to add options.

1 Like

Thank you. :+1:

1 Like

I like Electrum, as far as privacy/anonymity. I haven’t tried any hardware wallets yet, but Trezor is supposed to be good security wise. What are some of the advantages of Samourai and Wasabi?

Coincidentally, I’m writing an article about cryptocurrency wallets right now. Perhaps I should include the first two.

Read:
PayNym
Ricochet
Whirlpool
Stonewall
DOJO (beta)
And check: txTenna & Sentinel (by Samourai)

As for Wasabi, read FAQ

1 Like

Thanks so much! I’ll put this in my queue of subjects for articles. It seems people are very interested in privacy related software/hardware.

Actually, I’m doing a how-to on BTC right now, so I could incorporate these.

I do not understand why bitcoin is considered private, to level of anonymity, when reading this: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Block_chain

A full copy of a currency’s block chain contains every transaction ever executed in the currency. With this information, one can find out how much value belonged to each address at any point in history.

and about transactions:

All transactions are visible in the block chain, and can be viewed with a hex editor. A block chain browser is a site where every transaction included within the block chain can be viewed in human-readable terms. This is useful for seeing the technical details of transactions in action and for verifying payments.

which I stumbled across recently while try determine if/how I could get into the world of cryptocurrencies… searching quickly led me here: http://zerocash-project.org/ then on to Zcash https://z.cash/technology/ and all that jazz.
and zcashd over tor really sounded like the only thing going for actual anonymity, at least for any BTC related crypto.

totally ignorant on the entire subject, don’t want to derail thread though, so do offer the zcashd over tor as another option for PTIO listing and an actual(?) private, secure, and anonymous crypto and wallet.

edit to add: I do want to " buy in" this year, going to be steep learning curve, thanks for topic and all those links @anon21166528 :sweat_smile:

Yes, bitcoin is transparent. Bitcoin is not anonymous, it’s pseudonymous (it’s permissionless). But with the right tools (and knowledge), anonymity is possible.

Anonymity should NOT be optional. So, Zcash sucks!.. I would recommend Monero, which is anonymous by default. But I’m not interested in altcoins, because most altcoins are useless/scams.

You can educate yourself about bitcoin/cryptocurrency, but be skeptical (’‘Don’t trust, Verify’’). Start here, and avoid bitcoin(.)com!

1 Like

very good, thanks @anon21166528

to clarify, by private I did mean privacy to level of anonymity (re: bitcoin) and why folks say/think they can pay for anything online and never be tracked to being the sender/spender of said coin.

and as I understand zcash, it is anonymous, fully, in zcash system and if used outside it becomes less so, by giving up additional detail(s), but not all, as bitcoin family does.

going to read your link now, thanks again for pointer!

No, it’s not private/anonymous by default:

Zcash has two types of addresses: z-addr and t-addr. Z-addr uses zero-knowledge proofs and other means of protecting user privacy, while t-addr is similar to a Bitcoin address.

Transactions between two transparent addresses (t-addresses) work just like Bitcoin: The sender, receiver and transaction value are publicly visible.

Look at Multiple transaction types

I think that I already explained this: ‘‘with the right tools (and knowledge), anonymity is possible.’’ (ricochet/coinjoin/tor).

If I understand correctly, no, it is not anonymous. Maybe I should have said pseudonymous, not private, to avoid confusion.

thanks @anon21166528 the examples helped sort that, as did the rest of your reply. I have a lot of reading to do- barely scratched the surface yesterday, in for the long haul though :sweat_smile:

1 Like