Basics of The Tor Browser

Since I usually speak with a high technicality, I normally don’t do well with trying to explain how technology works in simpler terms. Anyway, here is the my basics for the Tor Browser.

Note: This is a very basic blog post, I don’t go very much into the details. For more details here is a more detailed FAQ from the Tor Project.

https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq.html.en

5 Likes

There need to be more articles like this! A lot of people attempt to explain the Tor Browser but don’t do it justice.

Very nice.
I think the paragraph about the Tor network is the most technical one that beginners might have troubles with understanding.

One minor thing. I’d change:

While there are illegal services out there that use these domains. There are a majority of pages that are ethical legal to use, such as the DuckDuckGo onion site.

To:

While there are illegal services out there that use these domains [comma] there are a majority of pages that are ethical and legal to use, such as the DuckDuckGo onion site.

Also how about formatting the first line into a headline?

# Tor Browser

1 Like

An easy explainer like this (maybe with more pictures…) would be nice if it is linked on PT.io so someone interested in TOR finds this more easy, and that other like us can point to such an resource more easily.

2 Likes

Is there a way to pin posts to the front page like on Reddit? I’m somewhat new to this site!

1 Like

You must be a grammar cop like me. :rofl:

If you just want to save useful posts, you can bookmark posts by clicking the menu icon below the post and clicking the bookmark icon:

Then if you want to see your bookmarks, you click your profile picture in the menu bar, and there’s another bookmarks icon.

If you’re talking about if mods can sticky posts like subreddit mods can, then yes a team member can do so.

1 Like