Avoid Surveillance With Helm (a personal email server)

1 Like

Pretty cool but unfortunately providers like google and (especially) hotmail will reject emails into spam from small providers. Let alone an individual.

2 Likes

This makes no sense to me. You’re proxying all your emails, etc. through their cloud service. Email isn’t end-to-end encrypted so they’d definitely be able to read and record any emails you send if they wanted to.

My bad, I did more research and the gateway cloud device acts more as a VPN than as a mail relay, so if the remote server supports TLS connections (which most do presumably) then it is end-to-end encrypted to your home server. But Amazon and Helm could still read connection data.

This is a cool concept and I do wish it would take off if it meant people would get off Gmail/Yahoo/Hotmail, but this setup could be rather easily recreated by anyone with decent Linux administration skills, and this seems pretty targeted towards a tech audience rather than “the masses”…

2 Likes

Their website is packed with so many marketing trackers:

the-helm-trackers

And it won’t even work at all (resulting in a blank page) if only the first-party domain is allowed to load.

2 Likes

Thats how you know its a good site /s
Also +1 for using uBlock Origin for script blocking, I do the same :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:+1:

Just makes you wonder, whether the makers are privacy-oriented or not. Because if they are, then why would they fail, when it comes to their website?

1 Like

Easier (read: cheaper) to have Shopify build your site for you than DIY. Doesn’t really matter what your ideals are when you’re running a business probably.

1 Like

I don’t understand what you mean.
Is it ok in your opinion to use shopify because it is easier, or not?

Without speaking for Jonah, I think the point is that the owners of the site don’t really care because they are running a business and it is easier to use shopify.

2 Likes

Hmm…not as good as it sounded on the surface, eh?

The main point I was trying to make was I typically don’t judge a product based solely on their company’s business and marketing decisions. Otherwise I would have started discouraging everyone from using Firefox years ago, for example.

Their privacy policy is not great either:

Information We Collect on the Service: When you use the Service, you will provide and we will collect what is generally called personally identifiable information, or personal information <…>. Examples of Personal Information include name, email address (both the one you use to register for the Service and the one you create as part of the Service), domain name, telephone number and credit card or other billing information. Personal Information may also include other information, such as geographic area, or device preferences, when that information is linked together with information that identifies a specific individual.

<…>

Our devices also collect data based on your status of the device. Examples of the types of data our devices collect include temperature, firmware version, data stored, uptime, wifi characteristics, and memory utilization.

<…>

When We Disclose Information. <…> We may disclose information to third parties in the following circumstances:

• We work with third party service providers to provide website, application development, hosting, maintenance, and other services for us. These third parties may have access to or process your information as part of providing those services for us. <…>

• We may disclose your information if required to do so by law, in response to a court order, judicial or other government subpoena or warrant.

• We also reserve the right to disclose your information that we believe, in good faith, is appropriate or necessary to (i) take precautions against liability, (ii) protect ourselves or others from fraudulent, abusive, or unlawful uses or activity, (iii) investigate and defend ourselves against any third-party claims or allegations, (iv) protect the security or integrity of the Service and any facilities or equipment used to make the Service available, or (v) protect our property or other legal rights (including, but not limited to, enforcement of our agreements), or the rights, property, or safety of others.

• Information about our users, including Personal Information, may be disclosed and otherwise transferred to an acquirer, successor, or assignee as part of any merger, acquisition or sale of assets.

1 Like

Yeah this is more concerning :sweat_smile:

Yeah, unfortunately. I’ve posted some excerpts from their privacy policy above.