Apple does not care :D

Though I do not support the apple ecosystem I would agree to the over exaggeration of the story to gain clicks. That said getting locked is the biggest apple drawback. With Linux you can switch your distribution, android can allow other app stores. Apple markets noble actions like stopping attacks and illegal acts but exploits slave labour in China.(not that others don’t)

1 Like

How did the Android One program not change this? I don’t know much about it but I remember hearing all this talk of “low cost” phones getting “long term security updates.”

Depends on manufacturer I suppose :smiley:
Samsung rolls out surprise updates for 5-year-old Galaxy Note 5 and Galaxy S6

1 Like

I heard security features will be roll out directly from google in next android…
again i’m not fan of security as much as privacy but to reply at you so yeah

Yes, in Android 11, you get more security updates “right from Google Play.” Or in other words: You have to keep Google Play on your smartphone and need to log in using your Google account. However, most people here likely don’t want a Google account.

Each month, Google publishes a long list of security updates for your Android smartphone. If you don’t install them, it becomes more and more likely that you can’t protect your data, which implies less privacy.

Yes, in Android 11, you get more security updates “right from Google Play.” Or in other words: You have to keep Google Play on your smartphone and need to log in using your Google account. However, most people here likely don’t want a Google account.

I’m sure as privacy community made google play like app aka aurora the same community gonna find a way for this, im not worried!

Each month, Google publishes a long list of security updates for your Android smartphone. If you don’t install them, it becomes more and more likely that you can’t protect your data, which implies less privacy.

Not always true! Linux hardly uses anti virus and it’s good and secure and it runs on most of the servers worldwide. Let’s all agree apple uses their cert system in unencrypted traffic way! now i’m secure right ? :smiley: i’m using apple yay! but oh wait it’s not encrypted and my data might be leaked so easily just by using wireshark, i’m trying to say that secure does not always mean privacy and vice versa! if you used let’s say cylax os and you just locked yourself into apps from aurora or fdroid, you almost secure because you don’t download from bad sources and it’s private so what am i missing ? but again if it’s secure just like apple im sure at some point those data will be leaked and it would be the same!

Sorry, but you might start a new thread since you heavily confound things. First, the thread was about some YouTuber spreading a misleading story, then we went to Android’s security, and now it’s about Linux servers …

Nope! i said apple sucks in privacy and you said no it’s good because it’s security and how security protect privacy so i was proving my point that security does not always protect privacy in fact they are different topics (like how antivirus effect your privacy but increase security)

+1 for this …

You try to prove your point by mixing “Linux hardly uses anti virus” with Apple’s “cert system in unencrypted traffic way” and “cylax os and you just locked yourself into apps from aurora or fdroid.” These are three distinct topics (malware protection, revocation checks of digital certificates, application-level security on Android). Two of these topics are unrelated to the first post in this thread.

Besides, if you say “cylax os and you just locked yourself into apps from aurora or fdroid, you almost secure because you don’t download from bad sources and it’s private so what am i missing,” then you are obviously unaware of ways to exploit security vulnerabilities. For example, your F-Droid app doesn’t protect you against Bluetooth vulnerabilities, any attacks on mobile protocols like LTE, or Simjacker/WIBattack. Such vulnerabilities can be exploited, independent of which app you use on top of your smartphone’s OS.

Ugh! 3 different topics under same FRICKING thing, security.

You said, Security is part of privacy and i was (once again) proving my point security is not always good for privacy as i stated about antiviruses and when i stated again that if you locked yourself into frdorid or aurora you are mostly good to go (nothing secure 100% and yes they can be hacked too but so does apple :slight_smile: ) and lastly i was talking about apple! you said we are not sure about the spy thingy but let’s all agree we are sure about apple uses unencrypted channel to send data and as you stated before apple secure and how security is good for privacy then i said not always because data might leak too as the apple unencrypted cert channel. all i was doing is proving security aka apple is not always good for privacy and it’s not always to get privacy you need security so that’s it and i hope you get what I FRICKING meant

Looking at your responses, it seems that you don’t understand our position or most of our arguments. So, please ignore our arguments as digging deeper seems to lead to more and more confusion.

Sure? because if i’m right you was talking about how security is good for privacy

We say this, too. There is a simple reason for this: Long-term security updates.

and that’s why i was saying it’s not always that good (the security i mean)

By now, it looks like you only read certain parts of our sentences to rewrite a story that we didn’t tell …

Going back all the way to your first post:
You pointed to a video of somebody jumping to conclusions after he read (not researched) a misleading report by a “hacker.” In the same first post, you claim:

1. “apple spys on any app you open on your mac os” (which isn’t true, as previously explained)
  2. “they can do it on desktops i’m sure they can on iphones too!” (which already implies that Apple “spies” on its users and comes without any proof)
  3. “iphone is more good than android i really don’t agree, android got more apps and foss ones like if you searched on android about pgp apps you will find a lot but if you searched on iphone store you will just find one and it’s not even foss or even free!” (this somehow adds an “Android is better than iOS because there are more apps,” which is unrelated to the video and the story before)

What did we say? (Longer comments above)

1. Apple provides long-term security updates for its iOS. Getting long-term security updates for Android mostly means staying with Google smartphones or within the Google ecosystem. This is a well-known problem and widely covered by the media.
  2. More apps doesn’t mean that anything is better or worse. (And this is also unrelated to the initial “Apple spies on you” story.)
  3. Remotely exploitable security vulnerabilities (in LTE, Bluetooth, your Android, your SIM card, etc.) may reduce your privacy to 0. Why? Because you can’t protect information on your device if a third party (e.g., an attacker) can access everything.

In sum, it looks like you tend to prefer “Apple is evil” stories while we tried to highlight both sites: While it might look that some shady things are ongoing if you only watch the initial video, the story looks different if you understand the technical background of what happens.

And now we are at a crossroads: We can either share both sides of the story to inform people in a balanced way, or we can just reshare the misleading “Apple spies on you story” without further research. The second option is also known as “echo chamber.”

I’m going to say same as techlore said, we will wait to see more resources, are you happy now?

Welp, all i meant that both are bad but i think iPhones are more bad. my point was about how apple is bad (the video thing and why i think android is more good, by foss apps yes)

I mean you can use custom roms with security updates

Yeah…again i was saying why (at least me) don’t see apply as holy apple for privacy as some folks do

If i’m right same data are on iPhones too? anyway i was once again proving that security is not always good for privacy

Sure Google sucks too, in many ways but at least you got the chance to put custom rom to kinda escape from this echosystem but installing aurora as replacement for google play as example. so again both sides yes, i got the video and you said it’s not true so let’s wait for more confirmations until that i still think that security (aka stick with apple) is not a good option for privacy

Linux is better than mac so i guess android is better than ios?

Windows 10 is better than Ubuntu. WhatsApp is better than any open-source messenger. Facebook is better than all decentralized networks.

Would you agree? It is unlikely. Do you see the problem? Somebody shares their ideology as it is some “fact” while it is a personal opinion.

Yeah i should have putted more private or more secure etc

I mean he is right! Linux is better because (again my point of view) more private and you don’t have to trust it because it’s FOSS. the thing that made me say mac os or iphones sucks it’s because not open as much as android. dude literally last couple of years they opened the option to choose the default browser like WTF it’s so tight to their system but in android in other hand you gotta more custom settings and stuff that’s why i said android is better. and of course let’s not forget the arsenal of FOSS apps on android — but then you said security is important for privacy and how apple is not that bad and thats why i said my words about security is not always good