Apple CEO Tim Cook says digital privacy 'has become a crisis'

i’d really love to believe that’s his true position, but the timing makes it seem more like he’s trying to capitalize on the situation, and use it as an advertising opportunity.

This is definitely a PR/competitive move.

“You are not our product,” [Cook] said. “Our products are iPhones and iPads. We treasure your data. We wanna help you keep it private and keep it safe.”

This is openly false. An increasing portion of their revenues comes from services (which rely on data). They want to generate revenue per user not to keep their user’s data safe. Otherwise they wouldn’t have included an open ended right to share personally identifying information for any 3rd party for any reason in their privacy policy.

Tim Cook is a generic, dishonest US oligarch.

If Apple really wants people to take them seriously. They can start by making MacOS open-source, the nature of MacOS right now prevents us from fully trusting them. Let us choose which application store we wish to use. Its annoying having the App Store as our only option to to install applications. There are many more things I could talk about, but I would be here for a while.