Any opinion on these phones?

I have seen several posts regarding flashing roms like Graphene OS on Google Pixel phones. However, as I dont consider myself tech savy enough to root and also dont have the money to spare if I end up doing something wrong I have been looking into phones that come preconfigured with custom roms.

I am aware of Purism and Librem 5 but since I am based in Europe I was looking into other alternatives. I stumbled upon these guys iodé | The Eco Friendly Smartphone Protecting Your Privacy. Any opinions? They werent mentioned here or on the github page as far as I can see

It is really not recommended to use any Linux phone (Librem or PinePhone) for day to day use. They arent ready for regular consumer use at the moment. It needs time to mature. With Librem maybe a lot more time.

Right now since you are in Europe I suggest you look at Fairphone 2 (or Fairphone 3). It has completely repairable modules inside and ethically sourced components. EDIT: It runs Lineage OS out of the box. Apparently you have to flash it as well. If you will flash, might as well go for Pixel/Graphene combo.

3 Likes

The Fairphone 3/3+ ships their own version of Android but you can install other ROM such as LineageOS. If you don’t feel like installing it yourself you can get one from /e/ which is a deGoogled fork of LineageOS (check the link above).

In my opinion, this is the best middle ground between privacy and usability out of the box because software-wise you get a deGoogled experience (although security updates are a little lacking still) and hardware-wise you can repair your own phone as needed.

I have bought Fairphone 3 recently and installed LineageOS (17.1, based on Android 10), without MicroG. And I’m very satisfied with both phone and OS. It feels great to have phone without Google (or MS or Apple) services. All apps I need are available via F-droid, or official site (e.g. Signal, Wire, Threema, Collabora office, Vivaldi, Cryptomator…). I don’t use Aurora store since I don’t need any play store apps.

People say LineageOS might not be the best de-googled OS since they might stop updates after some time, but I already had 3 large updates in last month or two. I also saw LOS version 18 (Android 11) is being tested on Fairphone models (2/3/3+), so I expect it will be available by the end of the year.

There is also Volla phone, with custom Android version (it is de-googled, and with F-droid and Aurora pre-installed I think). They have Ubuntu touch version, but I’m not sure if it good for everyday use, as already mentioned.

Thanks everyone for the tips! Really appreciate that you guys take the time :slight_smile:

Yeah I have gathered that the linux phones are still very much in development phase.

I was a bit confused about the Fairphone website. Does the fair OS that comes with Fairphone3/3+ come with google services? I guess maybe I would have to order the one from Efoundation?

Both the fairphone and Volla phone (with volla os) seem like great options. Environmentally friendly is always a plus with easy repair and refurbished :slight_smile:

Does the fair OS that comes with Fairphone3/3+ come with google services? I guess maybe I would have to order the one from Efoundation?

Yes, legally Fairphone cannot sell phones running Android without any of the Google Services. If you do not want to go through the trouble of installing a custom ROM yourself, I would recommend then purchasing directly from the /e/ foundation.

To be clear, neither LineageOS or /e/ are focused on building a device as private as it can possibly be. They certainly are more private than any stock Android installation, but if you are after maximum privacy and security you should consider projects like GrapheneOS or Librem. Based on your preferences, I think Fairphone 3 with /e/ pre-installed is the best option. You should check their shop because they have a few other devices available as well.

The good news is, if you don’t like it or decide you want to try and install something else, you can do so at anytime. You should be able to install even the stock Fairphone OS with Google Services if you want to, so you are not really restricting yourself to one thing or another. But then again, GrapheneOS and Purism only runs on specific devices, and the FP3 is not one of them.

1 Like

Hello @OSforthewin

regarding flashing roms like Graphene OS on Google Pixel phones. However, as I dont consider myself tech savy enough to root and also dont have the money to spare if I end up doing something wrong I have been looking into phones that come preconfigured with custom roms

Installing GrapheneOS on a Google Pixel phone has become simple and easy to do using the WebUSB-based Installer.

There is no rooting involved. Rooting destroy’s the Android security model.

2 Likes

I think then I will be try to see if I can find a cheap second hand Google pixel and try with Graphene OS. If not I will go with the /e/ foundation phones (although like @LOK_48SEAL you mentioned Lineageos slow security updates is a little concerning). I saw both techlore and thehatedone recommend Grapheneos :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great to know there is an easier option for us less tech savy peeps. Thanks a ton for the recommendation :slight_smile:

I saw this yesterday, and now I’m not sure GrapheneOS is project I would support

I knew there was some kind of disagreement between Copperhead and GrapheneOS, but I didn’t know it was this bad. I agree with everything Techlore said, this shouldn’t encouraged and it will ultimately hurt the project.

That said I have not used GrapheneOS before so I can’t talk in favor or against it from a technical perspective. My understanding is that it’s pretty secure and stable, and you should give it a try and see if it works for you. There’s always time to look for options elsewhere, and Pixel phones have great portability to other custom ROM available.