Announcement: We have reached a hundred members!

(blacklight447) #1

As a member of the Privacytools.io team, I am very pleased to announce that we have just reached our first major milestone of 1 hundred forum members.

I would like to thank all the members of our team, and ofcourse our already existing forum members for making this possible, thanks guys, your awesome!

Now… Lets spread the word and get to 1 thousand members! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Yes. Let’s.

Why that dumping of reddit ? My understanding is : one of the reasons is, reddit is not privacy-friendly enough.

One of my reasons for welcoming the move to this forum is : reddit has a lot of advantages, but being so very mass-market, it attracts a lot of trollish behaviour. Or rehashing of issues. Or plain silliness.

What do you think ?

1 Like
Why not just post and discuss at r/privacytoolsio and r/privacy
(Mikaela Suomalainen) #3

Another reason is that they appear to have begun blocking Tor users.

3 Likes

Hopefully many of the subreddit users will migrate.

I used the subreddit regularly. I fully understand (and support) the move to a self-hosted solution.

At the end of the day, reddit is just a variant of FB. They are not as messed up as FB as of today, but there is no way guarantee that they will stay even semi-legit. And based on currently available info, it’s only a matter of when, not if.

2 Likes
(blacklight447) #5

You can help by spreading the word on our subreddit and other other privacy related subreddits :slight_smile:

1 Like
(NoHablaPrivacy) #6

Tencent the China based tech company recently invested 150 million into them. Not sure how this affects them, but certainly should increase privacy concerns.

2 Likes

Ha ! I wasn’t aware of that.

Also the warrant canary has been discontinued, which could be troublesome.

1 Like