Addition of Twinme in Privacy tools

I recently found out about this app . Kinda is just like Session.
Based on Peer to Peer network and doesn’t require any phone number ,email etc . :slight_smile:
I want to know about you guys opinions :smile:

The underlying technology *twinlife" says it is open source but I cannot seem to download the source code, nor is there a github/gitlab page. Business model was also not apparent on casual reading.

Likewise the site linked above just have basically a features page and download link to play/app store. Documentation/manual is also incomplete at this time.

This probably deserves a second look after the actual site and documentation is finished. Also, this is potentially not truly open source.

1 Like

There is no desktop version :frowning:

The only technical details they mention that I could easily find are:
• WebRTC for peer-to-peer high quality real-time video and audio communication (to be included in the HTML5 standard)
• XMPP for instant messaging, contacts and presence management.

soo yaaaa, you can never have too many P2P options for messengers !!! i just use tox or chatsecure ios, conversions on android meh…

For anyone concerned about censorship though or like… just the thought of everything you type being recorded somewhere ; of course P2P solves that :smiley:

That reminds me I should test out the new Jami version and see if it actually works now

Yeah . I was also a little bit skeptical but let’s see what happens of .

Info about twinme:

um… more:

and uh - privacy policy says this:
We will share the information we have with entities outside of Twinlife if we have a good faith belief that access, use, preservation, or disclosure of the information is necessary to:

• meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request;*
  • enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations;*
  • detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security, or technical issues;*
  • protect against harm to the rights, property, or safety of Twinlife, our users, or the public as required or permitted by law.*

We will update this privacy policy as needed so that it is current, accurate, and as clear as possible.

Its P2P but I wouldnt want to associate with anyone on it that is critical of their government lols.

At least Wire just says that they can deactivate your account for any or no reason at all, instead of like…passing info to governments lol. whats worse than deplatforming ; not being deplatformed and spied on LOL.

There is really no reason to use this over Matrix (Element).

Also chatsecure/coversations aren’t P2P, they’re federated XMPP messengers, they have servers in the same way that email does. A server can certainly ban you if they want.

While Matrix is currently federated, there is a proposal and effort to make it P2P based: https://matrix.org/blog/2020/06/02/introducing-p-2-p-matrix/

Of course nuisance users on Matrix can also be banned by their homeserver admins. Homeservers which have no rules and or moderation usually get banned as a whole by other servers, as it is with email.

Wire is centralized, and they do keep metadata on who you’ve been chatting with, although the contents are E2EE.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing :smiley: I wasnt staying up to date with their blog and I am def keeping an eye out for that for when they release that :slight_smile: In the meantime I can test out https://p2p.riot.im/ in a browser I didnt disable webrtc in :smiley: I dont mind if its v0.1.1

def keeping up on updates about this :slight_smile:

thats an interesting vice artice hehe. but ya i dont think anyone can like in good conscience recommend wire to like…a journalist reporting from a repressive country that wants to leak things to the world like…evidence of mass graves or something LOLS; yeh not wire :slight_smile:

this is the thing, metadata can reveal with high probability what the discussion might be about, ie a journalist talking to someone who might be say a high up commander in a repressive regime’s military for example. “I wonder what they might be discussing… maybe the weather? yeah sure.”