Fairly new here, I’ve been wanting to improve on my privacy for quite some time now & I finally got started a few days ago. This site/forum has been a great help and I I’m definetly on the right path but I obviously have a few questions and hopefully you’ll be able to help me.
First things first, here’s what I’ve done so far :
- Switched from Opera, to Vivaldi & finally Firefox with setup from Sun Knudsen, created containers for FB & Google while I begin my exit (that may takes months…),
- Created secured emails and began switching accounts from gmail,
- I’ve been a Dashlane premium user for a few years now but I installed KeePassXC and started to make the switch,
- Currently trying crypt.ee which may end up replacing Notion & Google Drive. I might as well go all in on Obsidian with an encrypted folder hosted on Nextcloud or something,
- Currently creating my Nextcloud server that’ll be hosted on a Raspberry Pi, I wanted to do that for quite some time, mainly to replace Google Photos & Drive, we’ll see how it goes,
- Deleted / deactivated Facebook, Messenger, Instagram, WhatsApp… from my Android phone
- Installed Telegram, Session (that I prefer but I’m the only one of my friends I guess)
I have yet to :
- Clean my phone, leave Facebook, export & delete everything from Google Photos, disable Telemetry on Windows & MS cloud services, setup Pihole & install a google Free os on my phone.
As for my devices, I have a Windows 10 “gaming” computer that I use at home, a Macbook pro that I use for work & on the go and my phone is a S8.
And for the questions…
1) can I setup Pi-hole with Nextcloud on the same Raspbeery Pi ? It’s a 3, I may grab the 4 if that would help runs the setup smoothly. Is it worth installing it if you have the good browser extensions ?
2) I’ve read everything and its contrary about every browser, nevertheless Firefox seems to be the best option ? can Tor be used as an everyday browser ? Is it worth using it if we log in social networks & stuff ?
3) what’s the point of ditching WA for like Telegram / Signal / Session / Olvid if you use it on a non-private phone (non secure Android or any iphone i guess) ?
4/ what can I say to my friends that are aware of privacy issues but choose not to do anything because ‘u either go all in or it’s useless’ / ‘why bother when you still have an Android/Apple phone that spies on you’ etc…
Well, that’ll be a good start haha, thanks for reading & have a nice day =)